Saturday, February 25, 2006

I've been attacked!

As I type this (on resident techie's computer), said techie is reformatting my computer and reinstalling Windows. This morning some nasty spyware attacked my computer - I couldn't even shut down properly as the whole screen was filling up with email messages that were being dodged by my security software. So I just shut the machine down and waited impatiently for techie son to get home. He's been on my case to reformat my computer anyway ("It's just normal housekeeping, Mom!"), but I've always been a bit hesitant. There's no going back now. I remembered to transfer most of my stuff, but I forgot about email and the address book. Hopefully that can be retrieved. Sigh.

4 comments:

Val said...

Oh that is so nasty Val. I remember the horrible feeling six years ago, sitting at the computer watching the whole thing die around me with a nasty virus. I dont have a resident techie like you, but happened to be online with one in America. I was fine till he told me to even unplug the modem and line at the wall. Eeek. I felt very alone and unconnected. But now that I have a real life that is more important than my virtual one,(and web based email!

Hope it all get sorted soon!

Val said...

Thanks for your thought, Val.
I'm up and running more or less now. Could you send me an email message so I can start reconstructing my address book? I might put that request in a post so I can get connected with my blogger friends again...

Kerri said...

Good grief! Disaster! Thank heavens for your resident techie!! I hope he can retrieve the address book.
Let us know how that turned out.
A friend's computer got zapped in a storm this past summer and another (techie) friend was able to retrieve everything but the address book. Bummer.

Val said...

Well, the address book has been lost, but I can try to put it back together. What I will miss is the emails I saved from my parents - I didn't always print them out, thinking I would one day get around to that... :(