Friday, May 05, 2006

Greek music and dancing!

In a previous incarnation I'm sure I was a dancer. Apart from doing ballet as an adult (until I was 38 - first pregnancy got in the way) I was also very keen on folk dancing when I was at university. Loved all that music from the Balkans and the Middle East, especially the haunting eastern scales they use, and the sounds of the bouzouki and the Greek bagpipes. Tonight we're going to dinner at a Greek restaurant which features Greek music and dancing. It'll be one time where the food will take second place.

I just tried to find a photo of myself in ballerina gear, saw it just recently and of course can't find it now when I wanted to scan it and post it. MUST get those photos into order!

8 comments:

Jellyhead said...

I can't wait to see ballerina`Val!

Hope you have fun tonight!

Alice said...

Val - in a tutu. Will the MWC be in tights?

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Have fun and don't those greek dances involve squats that kick out alternate legs and hop all at the same time?*LOL* Hope you'll be able to walk tomorrow :)

Val said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Oh my, I am just thinking of the Man Who Cooks in tights! His lycra bike shorts are not a good look as it is. (Thinks: must sneak a photo of him in his bike gear).

AIP, you must be thinking of Russian dancing - that is amazing stuff - but no, I think Greek dancing is tame by comparison.

Jelly, I'll definitely have to find that photo and post it. It'll have to be on the weekend.

Susie said...

Val,
Can't wait to see your photo! Have some yummy Greek food for me. Love baklava!
If you dance enough you can eat lots :)

Val said...

Oh no Val, ANOTHER similarity between us!
I did ballet from the age of four till ...well...my daughters used to do classes at the local ballet school, and so did I. Because my body was so trained to copy and remember at an early age, I can do (ahem - did) almost any style of dance. Most recently flamenco (the social sort called Sevillianos) and belly dancing; also a memorable workshop in butoh! I love contemporary stuff best, but I am not quite so agile now!

Thats why I like t'ai chi more than, say, yoga - too static!

Will go and find the photo of me in a tutu - let you know when I post it.

Kerri said...

I love Greek food! Hope you had a great time. I'll have to pop over to see 'other Val' in her tutu! You looked wonderful in yours :)
Who would've thought that you two hikers would be former ballerinas? :)

lindsaylobe said...

Greek Food is always good value. We also enjoy the food A good middle Eastern Restaurant at Eltham- Marousk !!

Best wishes