Saturday, March 04, 2006

Where did the time go?

It's been almost a week since I posted, the first week of the academic year will do that to you. Thousands of new students on campus, thronging into the library for tours, catalogue workshops, asking questions, borrowing books, as well as, ahem, checking their email and surfing the net. Libraries these days are bedlam, mobile phones going off despite signage, and more and more people are bringing in their laptops and forgetting/not thinking to turn down the sound. Would love a dollar for every time I hear the Windows theme when a computer boots up. Although we have a few hundred workstations for students to use, at this time of year it's never enough. The wireless network means students can access the university server from their own computers if they are in range of a signal on certain parts of the campus. How times have changed. When I was an undergrad in the 60s, photocopiers were the new technology...

So I've been coming home and chilling out, just keeping up with reading my usual blogs. Stopped by Wendy A's blog, which brings me to the second reference to "Where did the time go?" Wendy has a photo of her youngest son going off to kinder, and I immediately was transported back to the late 80s/early 90s when my sons were that age. Recently I came across a photo that was taken of Techie Son celebrating his 5th birthday at kinder. I haven't given our scanner much of a workout since we bought it, but this is a good reason to get it cranked up. I still have the little crown he made and which he's wearing in the photo. You can see his classmates' crowns better in the foreground.

6 comments:

Kerri said...

Time does have a way of getting away from us!
Wow, a few hundred work stations not enough? Amazing! It must be a very large library!
Your little techie is looking very cute. Is that you or the teacher with him?

Tanya said...

I had a lecturer at uni who told me once that when he was doing his PhD in Melbourne back in the late '70s, he would have to book a university computer (about the size of a room) weeks ahead of when it was actually needed. Then he would take heaps of data (in paper form) to load into the computer and then wait a while before he could see any results. He did a similar analysis two years ago - and it took him five minutes in Excel. It sure made me appreciate studying now instead of back then!

Tanya said...

BTW - rafting story will be posted... some day...

Val said...

That's me looking on adoringly.

The kinder was such a happy place for the boys, and I knew I was leaving them in a happy safe environment.

Val said...

Putting workstations into university libraries is like building more freeways: the more you provide, the more people will use them and fill them to overflowing again.

And each one is more powerful than the huge mainframe computers that Tanya's talking about.

WendyAs said...

He is adorable. You look so proud. Kinder is such a happy place. That kinder room looks very progressive.

Computer stations, That is a noble endevor. You can be assure to be part of a future. Thanks for sharing that Val.