Thursday, September 13, 2007

Learning new things about long time friends

This week I had lunch with four friends I've known for a long time. One of them has been housebound for a week and felt like some company. So I organised for the 3 of us to bring something over to her house for lunch and making sure we all didn't turn up with the same thing. It was fun for everyone, especially the hostess as she just had to set the table and wait for people to arrive with a surprise lunch. We liked it so much that I think we'll take it in turns to have a surprise lunch delivered to the table!

Usually our get togethers are spent going somewhere with a particular activity in mind, such as an art gallery, and that would drive our conversations. We had never had the opportunity before to just eat and talk, without the husbands around. So it was quite surprising to find out new things about people we've known so long. The theme seemed to centre on school days, and how teachers could influence what you did or didn't do, how you perceived yourself, etc. All of us had come across teachers who were negative or set in their ways about passing on skills and knowledge. But we'd all gone on to defy their predictions for us - good for us! And thank goodness for all the teachers who did encourage us.

13 comments:

Granny said...

Sounds like it was great fun for all of you.

Merle said...

Hi Val ~~ I knew there were lots of "Little Johnny" jokes. Hadn't heard of "Mommy,Mommy" ones.I get most of the jokes lately from David Koch'
Joke book no. 2. Some are a bit too rude to post. (In my opinion)
Lovely idea to meet your friends that way - and as you found out, you learn more about each other. How goes the job, Val? Take care, Love, Merle.

Jellyhead said...

Ah, there's nothing like time spent with friends! Glad you had fun, and found each other as interesting as ever!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I think I'm going to ask my sisters what they think of the "surprise lunch" idea for our Monday and Tuesday get togethers. Sounds like a good idea, and fun as well.

Glad you had a good time with your gal friends.

Happy Thursday, although it's almost over in your part of the world...

Love and hugs,

Diane

Susie said...

Sounds like a wonderful get together, and not too much work for any one of you.
Great conversation with friends is the best.
xo

Tammy said...

I too have memories of teachers good and bad...

How great of you to organize this little get together...thanks to the Red Hats I'm building relationships in my new to me community and it really does help!
:)

Carole Burant said...

I think it's wonderful that you and your friends have get togethers like that and I also like the idea of a surprise lunch! xox

Gina E. said...

Hi Val, thanks for your support on my job situation! Hey, I like this idea of surprise lunches. Does one have to be housebound to benefit? (Thinks...which leg will I break...)
I always enjoy listening to (and reading about) other people's school days memories - wish I'd been a fly on the wall at your friend's house!

lindsaylobe said...

Hi Val
One of my daughters was a Teacher and her husband is currently teaching at secondary level. I think it’s very interesting to reflect back on both good and bad influences of teachers. Teachers in my opinion are paid poorly and often are not recognised for the profound influence they can make to the minds and hearts of their students. Compared to overseas the rates of a pay are miles below, a reflection in my opinion of societal indifference to their status evidenced by the relative decline in their wages compared to other professions.
Best wishes

Jeanette said...

Hi Val, I think its lovely for you to all get together for a good Chin wag.. I like your idea of a surprise luncheon.
My sister Pauline, Friend Gwen and myself get to gether every sSaturday Afternoon for a good chin wag and a cuppa.
On my way now its Gwens place today..

Gwen said...

Hi Val.
Looks like my Mate Jan has beat me to the punch,yes we do meet at each others house on Saturdays it's great fun.
Stay Well xx

Rebecca said...

What a fun idea...I think when I get back to Canada I will pick up such a practice!!

Kerri said...

What a great idea! I hope your housebound friend is much better by now. I can imagine just how awful that would be!
Ah yes, teachers..a great subject. A good teacher is worth his or her weight in gold.