Friday, October 05, 2007

Where did the time go?

I have been keeping busy with lots of fun things to do since I returned from my trip to Albury. Have been to a great new version of the Nutcracker ballet with MIL, celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary this week by going to see the musical 42nd Street (I LOVE tap dancing, and even the Man Who Cooks enjoyed the show), created books inspired by the artist book exhibition I saw in Albury, went for a walk along the Yarra River, and of course fitted in a bit of work at the optometrist. I have not been reading blogs but aim to catch up in the next few days.

I still can't get over the wonderful exhibition I saw, and have since been in touch with one of the main book artists. Unfortunately she works far away up in Queensland, but I am determined to one day go up there to attend one of her workshops on bookbinding. Here are some photos I took, to give you an idea of the scope of the exhibition.

Some info on the exhibition. The book pictured here is made from sewn together bus tickets. I have been saving my tram and bus tickets to create a book like this, but it sure takes a while to get so many!

Yes, Virginia, this IS a book. Books can come in all shapes and sizes.

The circular book at the top left is made of emptied and dried teabags, again, lots of tea drinking necessary to collect so many! The paper used for teabags has to be strong, and the tea is a natural dye that makes a lovely shade. The book at the bottom left is made of envelopes sewn together.

These books have been sewn with coptic stitching, with decorated stitches added. There was a whole bookcase devoted to books with this stitching (see next photo).

One of many such bookcases in the exhibition.

A closeup shows a concertina book on top of the bookcase, cut out to form a beautiful structure when opened.

At the middle bottom of this photo are a couple of tiny books made out of cardboard, where the waffle of the cardboard forms part of the visual interest. I have a "thing" about working with cardboard, so boxes tend to be hoarded at my house.


This is the workspace provided for visitors - I spent a number of happy hours here, working out the construction of some of the examples left on the table. Basic materials and equipment, as well as instructions for making one of the books were provided.


Here's a spectacular looking book, opened out, that has a clever construction using no paste or glue, just sewing together.
And my miniature version, looking at the spine, and with accordion text pages.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Magnificent, Val. Certainly, they are not all for writing in. You clearly enjoyed your time there and have done a bit of enjoying your time since. Congrats on the wedding anniversary. Welcome back to the blog.

Blessings and blisss

catsmum said...

Happy anniversary - now if I'd known you liked tap dancing, I could've given you a demo of clogging [ie. appalachian style TAP dancing ]
Ruby and Rowan have pretty much doubled in size since you were up.

Annette said...

What a treasure trove of books! I am impressed with the exhibit and with your miniature accordian book. I like the look of plain coptic stitching (but didn't kow what it was called), but the decorative stuff is incredible and everyone should enlarge the closeup to see it.

Happy anniversary!

Annette

sonia a. mascaro said...

Congratulations on your 36th Wedding Anniversary, Val!

What a great books's exhibit! I would love be there!

sonia a. mascaro said...

I forgot to say that I like "Val's shared items" on side bar. You gave me a great idea!

Val said...

Yet another similarity Val - I love tap dancing! Only started when I was 15 (ten years after ballet) but it is just so satisfying. I must get the tap shoes out and see if I still have the energy (or the pelvic floor muscles!)

Oh and I am reading East Wind Melts The Ice over the year, reading the correct section for each few days. Its fun.

Alice said...

Congratulations on your Anniversary.

You've been one very busy and active lady, haven't you?

Those book photos have really blown me away (but here I am, back again ...lol). I had no idea that books came in such varied styles.

I think you should definitely keep aiming towards a book using travel tickets. Just think of all the places you will have to go to acquire enough.

The MWC was very lucky to get you back from Albury. You must have thought you were in paradise. What bliss!

Thanks for the photos - I may never throw anything away again as I'm sure it could be made into a book! Thanks heaps, Val....lol.

Susie said...

You give new meaning to "enjoying one's retirement"! Your life is busy and full of fun things. It's great to see you post about them.
Hope your anniversary was wonderful :)
xo

Merle said...

Hi Val ~~ Happy 36th Anniversary to you and your husband. I hope you had a lovely day to celebrate. The books are so varied and interesting, though
I doubt I would want a book of bus tickets or tea bags. I like words, but nice to see the different ideas.
Thank you for the tips about underlining - it may never happen again. There are photos of Connie, Jeanette Gwen and me on the post the day we had the get together dated 27th September, or Post 324.
Take care Val, nice to see you back even if only for a while. Do you think we will get Judd? Eagles want our No.1 pick. Here's hoping, Love, Merle.

Jeanette said...

Hi Val , Happy 36th wedding Anniversary to you and Hubby.
Wow all those books look very interesting, Dried teabags, I throw at least 6 out a day more if I have visitors. 1hr not far to drive when u live in the country, I go to Albury for a day out from time to time. ill be back blogging soon as i get my computer back.

Kerri said...

I'm picturing you poring over this exhibition. It must've been like Heaven for you, I'm sure. Fascinating materials, shapes and designs! I enjoyed your pictures (but found that 2 are missing..4 and 8).
Happy anniversary!! We were married the same year!
You've been doing some interesting things.
How amazing and funny that you and the "other Val" are so much alike :)
Lovely to "see" you again Val!

Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Val!! You've been missed my friend! Happy Anniversary...36 years is something to be proud of:-) I've been looking at the pictures of all these books and I'm in awe. To think so much artistry can be made with paper and cardboard...fabulous! Keep having fun, dear Val, you deserve it:-) xox

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Happy anniversary, Val! :-)

Interesting books! I've never really tried to bind my own books, but it would be good for scrapbooks and family things in particular.

Emmy is slowly improving, thanks for asking. She's still not quite herself, but she's better than she was earlier in the week.

I'm still looking for a good office chair. I'm determined to find one that's comfortable for me!

I can't imagine having a pigskin chair that wasn't tanned right. I imagine it DID smell to high heaven! ;D

Although yours is almost over, I do hope you have/had a good weekend. :-)

Love and hugs,

Diane

John Cowart said...

Val, you make me feel ashamed. My books got nothing but plain ol pages with ink on them.

And I can't tap dance either.

Happy anniversary.

Kali said...

Big congrats and Happy Anniversary to you both!
What an awesome exhibition...I'm gob smacked.
Have a lovely week,
Kali :)

lindsaylobe said...

Happy 36th wedding anniversary, and no doubt you enjoyed 42nd street.

Musical theatre is always a treat; you’re probably reminded of your own dancing days as ballerina although the 2 are so much different.
Best wishes

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Oooh, happy anniversary, Val ... hope it was a fabulous day.
The books all look amazing, must have been an interesting exhibition.
Looking forward to next week, and our picnic ... what are we doing food-wise, do we have a theme, or are we just bringing whatever ??
Talk soon.
Take care, Meow

Tammy said...

An awesome display of creativity!

So sorry it's been a while between visits!

Have a wonderful day!

Gwen said...

Hi Val.
Thanks for the visit,happy anniversary great array of books.
Not sure if that airport joke was real,but she thought quick I have those moments sometime [thinking quick that is] Ha!Ha!

Cris said...

Happy anniversary Val, I bet it was a great day! Nice version, this miniature of yours.