Monday, November 05, 2007

Meeting up with a dear friend

Connie and I have known each other since our university days in the 60s and 70s in Berkeley. Although we have lived in different countries for over 3 decades (she still lives in Berkeley), we've kept in touch and have always been able to resume our friendship very easily on the rare occasions when we do see each other.

Connie doesn't like being away from home very long or traveling long distances, so that pretty much rules out a trip to Australia, although I live in hope that one day she'll come to visit me there. But for now I'm really happy that we've at long last managed to be in Hawaii at the same time.

As friends do, we share interests, including visiting botanical gardens, and when we went to the gardens in Honolulu on Friday, I discovered that she too loves palm trees. It's always nice to find out something new about a longtime friend. We tried to find a variety that would grow fast but only to a size that would comfortably fit in her garden. The ones we saw though were mainly huge!
Afterwards we walked to Chinatown and had a dim sum lunch (called yum cha in Australia) - eating is another shared interest.

In the evening Dad joined us for a light meal in the International Market Place, and afterwards he took this photo of us in front of the Duke Kamanahoku statue - just like all the other tourists do. Dad cut off the Duke's head though.


We were going to go to a beach tomorrow but it looks like it will be too rainy for that. I can't help it, but all the rain makes me feel so happy, I just wish I could take it home with me. Anyway, we've got a couple of alternative plans, and the main thing is that we'll be able to spend the day together.

12 comments:

Jeanette said...

Hi Val, It makes your holiday even more memorable when your able to meet up with dear friends..Enjoy the rest of your holiday....Jen.

Jellyhead said...

Good friends, gardens and yum cha? Sounds *wonderful*! Good to hear from you Val :)

Susie said...

Glad you're able to share your good times with a good friend!!
The only time we were in Hawaii our hotel was right next to the International Marketplace. There were dozens of good restaurants!
I don't remember the statue though..
xo

Unknown said...

What a wonderful time, Val. Now does Connie or will Connie blog?

Blessings and bliss from The Trad Pad

Annette said...

You look so relaxed on your vacation! Have fun!

Annette

Merle said...

Hi Val ~~ Glad to hear you are enjoying your holiday and met up with a good friend and also your Dad. Thanks for your comment and the rain was really great, though we always need more. Enjoy the rest of your holiday in Hawaii. Take care,
ove, Merle.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I'm enjoying your trip to Hawaii because it will be the only one I ever get to go on. It's my virtual trip. I watched the live broadcast of the statue for sometime, but you never came past...or at least I didn't recognize you if you did.

I always enjoy a good trip to a zoo too and walks on the beach. I'm not so much interested in swimming in the ocean as much as visiting botanical gardens of Hawaii or even an active volcano.

Have fun for all of us with your old school friend. I didn't mean she was old, just that you have know her for such a long time. hehehe

More pictures, more pictures

Kerri said...

One of my favorite things on a trip to Australia is to spend time with a few of my old friends. It's such fun catching up..and yes, so easy to resume the friendship.
Lovely, happy photos, and the yum cha sounds yummy :) My brother and SIL treated me to that when I was over there last, and I loved it!
Alice and Richard's tanks are full of water! Isn't that great? I hope yours is too.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Wish it would rain here. It's so unbearably hot, I just want a half hour of rain to cool everything down.

The pictures are great - especially the one of you and your dad a few posts back :)

sonia a. mascaro said...

Sounds you both had a lovely time! And with your Dad, too!
To have a friend is so precious!

lindsaylobe said...

Hi Val, Your holiday is turning out to be very memorable particularly when you’re able to meet up with a life long friend and share experiences under a palm tree? I do hope we get more rain here soon! Best wishes

Gwen said...

Hi Val.
Great that you were able to meet up with your friend Connie.
You both look as though you are having a great time in Hawaii.
Stay well Val and enjoy the rest of your holiday.