Friday, November 02, 2007

Halloween in Waikiki

This was an event that took me by surprise. Thousands of young people and (ahem) supposedly more mature adults, turn out in wild and weird costumes, parading up and down the main street, photographing each other and pointing and laughing.

This was my "costume": My version of the Aussie corks on the hat, which is supposed to keep the flies away from your face. I used my mom's rollers sewn onto my beach hat. Printed out an Aussie flag from the internet and attached it to a roller on the top. Too cryptic for the Waikiki crowd, but I did hear one "Aussie Aussie Aussie!" to which I naturally shot back "Oi oi oi!" Too long to explain to non-Aussies.

We lasted until 10 p.m., but the party went on - we could hear raucous laughter, screaming and what sounded like police sirens going until the wee hours. For more photos go to http://vforbes.gallery.netspace.net.au/Halloween-in-Waikiki-rowdy-fun%21

10 comments:

Kali said...

*waving*
Hi Val ~ I've really enjoyed your last two posts from Hawaii!
Great photos, and you certainly look very relaxed :)
I think your hat is a cracker, and your story gave me a chuckle.

I'm off to check your other photos on the link you've included.
ENJOY!

Jeanette said...

Hi Val. You sure look like your having a lot of fun. Ohhh That hat "OI OI OI" ..

Alice said...

Oi, oi, oi, Val. Hmmmm, not sure about curlers, they look like nothing so much as large, colourful tampons...lol. Glad you had a wonderful time.

You're not a trick, but you definitely are a treat!

Susie said...

I was actually thinking the same thing as Alice about the rollers on the hat! Too funny!
You look very happy!
I'm off to check out your photo link..
xo

Jellyhead said...

Well now I've started my weekend with a very large smile!

Thanks for the funny post and photos!

Peter said...

"Oi oi oi"

Diane@Diane's Place said...

*Ahem....* Oi oi oi!! ;o)

Hope you're having a grand time, Val. Safe journey home.

Hugs,

Diane

Kerri said...

Dare I say, "Oi, oi, oi?" Might as well Mate...practically everyone else did :)
Trust Alice to come up with that comparison :)
Sounds like a lot of fun was had by all. Hope you got some sleep!

lindsaylobe said...

Hi Val ~ it’s splendid to see you’re enjoying your holiday and your dad looks well! Great pictures and stories about Hawaii! ; You are certainly entering into the spirit of the party over there and look relaxed.
Best wishes

Granny said...

Love the hat and how great that you're enjoying your vacation and able to spend some time with your Berkeley friend.