Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Some of my latest book creations

This is a book before it is sewn together. The text papers (middle) have been bound in two places. This is the inner binding which is not visible once the book is sewn together but ensures that the text will not fall apart if disaster strikes and the binding threads break.



The finished book, with three decorative wooden beads incorporated into the stitching.



Inside the book (forgot to turn it!).



Now for the results of the weekend's bookbinding course. We ran out of time so there are still things to finish, but this is a book case, held together with two toggles which you can just see at the front. That's a fabric covering, which first needed to be backed with paper and dried before pasting onto the bookboards.



Book case from the top.



I've propped the lid open so you can see the toggles better.



The book case open. The end papers still need to be attached to go over the white areas, but I'm first hoping to be able to create a book BOX which would have a head and tail at the middle section. This was what we were supposed to make during the class but we ran out of time.



One of the three books we made in class that are meant to go in the book box. The cover and text papers are all handmade, with the most wonderful soft feel to them. I will probably wear out the book just touching it all the time. (I have just confessed to Pea in an email that I also love the sound the book makes when I touch it. Is that too weird?) The stitching is the 4-hole hemp leaf stitch often used in traditional Japanese bookbinding.

16 comments:

Susie said...

I enjoy seeing the books you've been working on. I love the fabric..
You'll be coming over to some lovely weather! It's been right around 90º the last few days.
:-)

Carole Burant said...

How very beautiful...what a delightful hobby you have there! I love the one in that last picture!!

Annette said...

Val, the last photo looks delicious. I can't imagine what it feels like, but fleece comes to mind.

Annette

Val said...

Sue, 90º sounds wonderful! Not long now...

Pea, this hobby suits me well, and it's a different craft from what people usually get into.

Annette, you have used 2 words that are so spot on - the text paper is definitely fleecy (you can see a bit peeping out of the bottom right corner). The edges are torn, not cut, and it's so feathery/fluffy to touch. The cover paper has texture, you can see the pieces of plant in it. And delicious? Well, short of actually taking a bite, it does have a delicious feel to it.

Jo said...

very nice hobbie there Val, dont think I have the patience for that, you should see me wrap presents...lol

Merle said...

Hello Val ~ What a talented lady you are to make all those lovely books. Thanks for your comments, I don't know why it is difficult for you to comment.
Your trip must be getting close now. I hope you have a wonderful time and your mother sure will be happy to see you.
So much for the leaked Brownlow. Adam
Goodes is nice and plays well, I feel for Scott West, so near and yet so far
AGAIN. Take care Val, Cheers, Merle.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

What beautiful books. And it isn't too weird to enjoy the feel and sound of a book ... I can certainly relate to that !!!
Hope your week is going well.
Take care, Meow

John Cowart said...

Your skill and craftsmanship gets better and better.

Long ago I worked in the Library of Congress where I became adicted to the feel and smell and textures of ancient books. Now for some reason my own paperbacks just seem bland and common.

Kerri said...

Great job on the slideshow Val. I must try that some time. You've had some fun, I see, making these lovely books and case. It's too bad we can't feel the texture of that bottom book. It looks lovely!
I hope you have a wonderful trip over to CA. When do you leave?

Val said...

Ah leather bindings with raised cords and knots, ah...you got me going there John for a moment. I agree with the concensus that the last photo is wonderful, just the sound of the words "four hole hemp leaf stitch" has me worlds away from the help pages of the online catalogue that I should be creating this minute!

Jeanette said...

What a lovely hobby you have creating these lovely books, and you hve been busy doing that slide show .take care

TJ said...

you have such a talent Val...I love to watch you do things!!
:-D

Sharon said...

WOW Val... You seem to have taken to this lovely art like a duck to water...

Jellyhead said...

What gorgeous books. They are all lovely in different ways. Will you be able to bear to part with any of them as gifts? They would make wonderful Christmas presents.

lindsaylobe said...

My diary falls to pieces by the end of the year, maybe it’s not bound as well as your books!!

The fibres from adult Indian hemp plants have been identified in fabrics dated 300 B.C. No doubt these craft peoples, from long ago,experienced the same sensations and emotions as you do to day.

The books look beautiful, little wonder they also feel equally nice!!

Best wishes

Kali said...

*swoon* It's a good thing I am sitting down, because looking at these beauties is making me go weak at the knees!
The materials that you are using are so tactile and hands on, I don't blame you for wanting to keep touching. I so get what you mean about loving the sound the book makes as well...
Great stuff Val :)