- I love paper products, always have. I loved to collect stationery, now I create books.
- If I could have only one kind of meat product for the rest of my life, the choice would be easy: chicken!
- In my 50s I learned Auslan, Australian sign language, so I could communicate with the deaf students and staff at the university where I worked. But many years ago as a teenager I fell in love with the German language, became a German teacher and worked as a librarian at the German Cultural Institute (Goethe Institute). Have dabbled in Spanish, Italian and Greek.
- Late starts in life: classical ballet in my mid twenties, first child at 39.
- Before our garden became too shady, I had quite a collection of bearded irises, all named. I used to draw up maps of where each type was, and had all the information on a database, including when they flowered each year.
- My favorite animal is the giraffe.
- I love driving a manual car. My last two cars were/are a Mazda 626, before that a zippy little Datsun 120Y. My first car, when I was still living in California, was a VW bug, convertible! One time the Man Who Cooks drove up to the Sierra Nevadas with a friend to go camping. But when they parked Gertrude (the name I gave the car) at the start of the trail, they left food in the car. When they got back, they found that a bear had torn open the roof to get at the food.
Was that random enough for you? Have a good weekend!