Friday, June 08, 2007

Berkeley days

I've just finished scanning an album of photos from the early 1970s, when we were still living in Berkeley. Lots more hair back then, but some things never change. We still like our afternoon tea, that wall hanging is now on a wall of our sleeping shed up in the country, and we still enjoy going on picnics in all weathers (second photo).

The mattress the Man Who Cooks is sitting on was our sofa - oh so typical of the place and time!

At dinner time we would sometimes go up into the hills behind Berkeley with a pot of hot rice, a salad, and some meat for cooking over the hibachi, that little charcoal burner you see in the photo. We still have that hibachi, for old times sake. It was often quite chilly up in the hills, which is why you see us rugged up in such ridiculous looking gear. The cheap flagon of wine helped too!

Coming soon: photos of our wedding...

11 comments:

Unknown said...

As you say, Val - of the time! The good old days really were the good old days - do you agree?

John Cowart said...

Great photos. Brings back memories. Looking forward to your next set.

Alice said...

Great photos, wonderful memories. I can almost smell the meat cooking!

Jeanette said...

Hi Val,nice photo.s of days gone by.look forward to your wedding photo's.

Carole Burant said...

When I got married in 1976, I used empty bottles of that cheap wine as candle holders! lol I so loved looking at these pictures...and yup I remember the hibachi also, in fact we still have one in the shed as a souvenir too:-) xox

Susie said...

Yep, it can get chilly with the fog and breeze. I loved seeing these pictures!!
We had a hibachi too and drank our wine out of bottles like that. (Looks like Almaden?) We also used to melt candles so they'd run down the sides of wine bottles to be "decorative"
Great memories!!
xo

Joan said...

Those are great photos of times past. Was life really simpler back then or were we just less encumbered with "stuff"?

Anonymous said...

In the 60's I was living in Oakland, then we moved out to Dublin, then back to San Leandro. In 68 I left the Bay Area, via the Army. My brother departed a month ago from Walnut Creek to Wyoming. I don't know when I'll get back to visit. Times there sure have changed.

Tammy said...

I'm sitting here shivering in the air conditioning...I think I'll go have a spot of tea after seeing your picture!
:)

Cris said...

What great pictures, you look so serene (that's how I see you always) and sooo happy there!

Kerri said...

I love these pictures Val! What fun to remember the young days together :) Isn't it wonderful to dig out those old photos and relive the memories?
When we play John Denver music those days come alive again for us. It never fails. He was so typical of the times.
Now I'm singing, "When you come to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair" :)