Friday, February 03, 2006

Giraffes



Giraffes are my favorite animal. I love their long eyelashes and rather superior way of looking out over their world.


















We have a wooden giraffe made in Zimbabwe, and he guards our front door. He sometimes does duty as doorstop when we have the door propped open.

These are two giraffe sites I visit for photos and other giraffe-related stuff:
http://www.giraffehaven.com/index.html

http://www.giraffelinks.com/ (no longer maintained, but still lots of great links)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love giraffes too! They are definitely my favourite animals with seals a close second. Your spider is the exact one my daughter and I discovered in our hallway near our bedrooms one night while home alone. Unfortunately it had to come to an untimely end!

Tanya said...

Val- Self promotion is a great thing when it comes to blogging (I never hold back!!). I adore these giraffes. I saw so many of them when I was in Africa (real and wooden) and dearly wanted to buy some, but was worried they would break between there and home (and what I did buy did break...). Seeing these brings back great memories of my travels.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Val, this giraffe is beautiful!

Kerri said...

They are such graceful animals even though they're so tall and awkward looking. Yours are really beautiful. Love the candle. What a good find!

Val said...

Yes, giraffes do have that odd blend of grace and awkwardness. I remember seeing the Melbourne zoo's young female giraffe running around a couple of years ago like an enthusiastic puppy. Unfortunately her physique just did not seem to match her movements, but she was adorable, nevertheless.